The Barons Play Much Better, Defeat Wolves In Game Two Of Weekend Series

Photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved.

After a pretty brutal five goal second period, Olivier Roy would return to the Oklahoma City Barons starting lineup to hopefully resurrect his presence in net. On the other end of the ice was Jake Allen, who was hoping to be equally as good. The first period began, and immediately my eyes went to Shane Harper and Ty Rattie, two Wolves who had a huge games the night before. However it was Linus Omark and Andrew Miller that would immediately have a couple of good chances with Corey Potter and Denis Grebeshkov playing the important starting defensive pairs. Absent was Oscar Klefbom, who was clearly the worst Barons defender on the ice in game one between these two, and in was Brad Hunt.

The Barons would earn their first power play opportunity at 3:34, following an incredible chance by Ty Rattie, with an errant Wolves hook. Omark had a pretty fantastic moment on the power play, but quickly took an interference penalty to put the game at 4 on 4 for a bit. The penalties would end, Omark would have a few more opportunities to score, but Jake Allen was really really good early.

With the game rubber banding back and forth, the Barons would get a two minute power play to finish the first period when Brent Regner was whistled for a cross-check, and happy-to-shoot (and in this case happy-to-tip-in) Matt Ford would notch his fourth goal of the season with assists from Martin Marincin and Denis Grebeshkov. The Barons would take only nine shots in the first twenty minutes, but that was okay because they would finish the period with a 1-0 lead.

As the second period began, credit needed to be given to Todd Nelson for figuring out a way to slightly slow the tempo while holding on to the lead. The team didn’t stop playing, but rather buckled down defensively. It was Ty Rattie, again, that would break through and tie the game for the Wolves on the power play with an assist to former Baron/Oilers Taylor Chorney. With the game tied, and the Wolves suddenly charging, the Barons were unable to score on the power play despite given many many opportunities, the second period end with 1-1 tie game.

Kale Kessy and Derek Nesbitt would score a goal a piece in the first 3:18 of the third period to bump the Barons ahead by two goals, and towards a much needed victory. A Grebeshkov trip and a Brandon Davidson abuse of an official penalty (10 minutes; arguing a call with flavor) gave the Wolves a solid attempt on the power play. Centerman, Pat Cannone would score his first of the season, and inch the Wolves back towards equaling the Barons. Linus Omark would take the puck strong to the net, and earn his second penalty shot of the season, and another goal-scored for the Swede. The Barons would spend the next thirteen minutes of the hockey game thwarting the Wolves, playing solid defense, and only allowing one power play opportunity.

The 4-2 final was a much better outing for Oklahoma City compared to Friday evening. Olivier Roy would stop 31 of 33, and the Barons would find some offensive life on the power play (1), even strength (2), and a penalty shot (1).

This was a big win for the Barons, a good return to form for Linus Omark and goaltender Olivier Roy. The Wolves also looked a tad better than advertised, and with Ty Rattie in tow, they’ll be fine.